Today marks our 10-year anniversary as Novelis. On January 6, 2005, the company was formed as a spin-off from aluminum producer Alcan. At the time, we were a brand new company backed by a nearly 100-year history in the aluminum rolling business. It was the best of both worlds.
Novelis inherited its initial core assets, manufacturing know-how and its most important asset — many of our people — from Alcan. The first rolling operation began in 1916 in Toronto, Ontario, with an 84-inch hot mill and three finishing mills. Over the years, the company constructed a number of mills, including several that are among the largest aluminum rolling operations in each of the geographic regions in which we operate.
In ten short years, we have taken the strong foundation of the company and transformed Novelis into the undisputed global leader in aluminum rolling and recycling. Some highlights of the last 10 years include:
- Developing a long-term business strategy, refocusing our portfolio on premium markets of can, auto and specialties and maintaining market and technology leadership in these core segments
- Capturing growth in emerging markets, growing our presence in Brazil and entering China
- Creating a strong, globally integrated organization to serve the demands of our global customers
- Optimizing our footprint and investing approximately $2 billion in capital expansions, focusing on rolling, recycling and automotive growth
- Becoming the world’s largest recycler of aluminum
- Pursuing disruptive innovation by reinvesting in technology, opening a new global research and technology center and partnering with customers to develop next generation products
- Building the Novelis brand, setting us apart from our competitors and establishing ourselves as the partner-of-choice to our customers
And we’ve been recognized by our customers and the industry for our accomplishments, including being named 2013 Metals Company of the Year by Platts and Aluminum Fabricator of the Year by Metal Bulletin. In 2014, we were recognized by Platts once again with its Aluminum Industry Leadership Award.
As we look ahead, the future for Novelis is bright. Our talented global workforce is committed to delivering on our strategy and extending our leadership in the marketplace. We have a strong foundation in place that will support growth across our core markets and around the globe. We will advance our sustainability and innovation efforts and enhance the Novelis brand among our stakeholders.
I’m very proud of what we’ve accomplished at Novelis in the last 10 years and am even more excited about what lies ahead.