Novelis’ strategy centers on delivering high-quality, value-added products to customers in our key market segments of beverage can, automotive and specialties. Sustainability is a core component of our strategy, led by our objective to reach high-recycled-metal inputs across our products.
We are keenly focused on the fundamentals that will advance our strategy and propel our business forward. Our commitment to sustainability aligns with and supports each of these five fundamentals:
- Our people are our most important asset, and we must ensure they make it home safely at the end of every day.
- Protecting the health and safety of the people who work on our behalf is our most fundamental responsibility.
- Our customers’ success means Novelis’ success, so we must meet and exceed their needs.
- Developing products that help improve the sustainability profile of end products provides value to our customers.
- To maintain our position as a world-class business-to-business manufacturer, we must provide our customers with quality products.
- High-quality products are durable and fit-for-purpose, delivering sustainability benefits throughout their lives.
- Improving recovery rates, increasing efficiency and decreasing downtime has a direct impact on business performance.
- Using energy and water more efficiently, decreasing greenhouse gas emissions and reducing waste increases the sustainability of our operations.
- Our clear focus on these fundamentals must translate into strong financial performance.
- Achieving our sustainability objectives depends on our company remaining financially sustainable.
Novelis Value Chain
Our approach to sustainability starts with how we operate within the “four walls” of our company and extends to our sustainability impacts and opportunities across the aluminum value chain.
Primary aluminum is made using a two-step process: First, mined bauxite is refined into alumina. Then, alumina is smelted into aluminum through an electrolytic reduction process.
Molten primary or recycled aluminum is cast into large slabs of solid aluminum known as “ingots.” Novelis both purchases and internally casts ingots to make our products.
Novelis is primarily an aluminum converter, which means we convert aluminum ingots into high-value flat rolled products for sale to our customers.
Our customers use our flat rolled products to manufacture of a range of finished goods such as packaging, vehicles, building materials and more.
Post-Production Scrap Take-Back
Whenever possible, we buy back the aluminum scrap our customers generate during production, which we then recycle and re-roll into new sheet.
Consumers are the end users of a wide range of aluminum products – and they also have a critical role to play in closing the loop on the aluminum value chain by recycling.
The infrastructure for collecting, sorting and processing aluminum scrap varies around the world. Novelis has created its own scrap-collection networks in some regions.
Novelis Recycling Operations & Processing
Novelis is the world’s largest aluminum recycler with recycling facilities on four continents. In FY16, Novelis used an average of 53% recycled inputs across our products.
Our goal is to minimize the amount of waste we generate in our operations and maximize the amount of aluminum that is recycled.